One of the worst things about being tall is having to use a standard height toilet. The feeling of your knees being up high makes everything awkward. Thankfully, new comfort height toilets are changing the game. These toilets put the seats at the same level as a regular chair, so there’s less awkwardness and more comfort. The Kohler Kelston toilet is a great option for a mid-range model with plenty of features and a comfortable seat.
The Kelston has a rim that is 16-1/2 inches from the floor. Depending on what seat you use, that can add anywhere from one to three inches of height. You may wonder what is the tallest toilet you can buy. Well, the Kelston is certainly in the top tier when it comes to floor mounted units. This unit does not come with a seat, but you can use nearly any standard elongated seat and lid.
KOHLER K-3754-0 Kelston
- Why we like it: The Kelston has a rim that is 16-1/2 inches from the floor. Depending on what seat you use, that can add anywhere from one to three inches of height.
This model comes in seven finishes, from white to ice grey to black black, so it can match nearly any décor. The toilet comes with the flush lever on the left hand side, so if you’re a southpaw, that’s a plus. When it comes to flushing power, with an over-large flush valve combined with the 360 degrees of water flow from the AquaPiston container, the Kelston has more than enough power to handle whatever you throw at it.
Cleaning a Toilet Properly
With modern toilets, the ceramics are coated with high quality glazes that are meant to make the surface non-porous so nothing sticks to it when you flush. The last thing you want to do is damage that coating with harsh chemicals. So when you clean your toilet, avoid caustic acids or harsh basic chemicals.
Instead of relying on those, you can make a green cleaner that is highly effective with some things you probably already have in your house. The best uses Borax, which is commonly found in the laundry detergent aisle. Combine the following directly into a plastic bowl:
● 3/4 cup of Borax
● 1 cup of white vinegar
Combine and mix well, then pour the mixture into your toilet. Use a toilet brush to lightly scrub the walls of the bowl and let it sit for a few hours. Give it one more scrub then and flush it to leave a sparkling clean toilet.
If you’re worried about it being effective, the vinegar acts as a disinfectant.
The acetic acid will kill nearly any germ it contacts. The Borax is a mild abrasive that will help scour the dirt away without damaging the porcelain. The two ingredients also won’t react with each other to form any noxious or dangerous chemicals like mixing bleach and ammonia can.
Features to Look For in Your New Toilet
There are a lot of new features and keeping track of them all can be difficult. When it comes down to it, however, there are two things that you should definitely keep in mind.
● Ease of Cleaning – This is one part of owning a toilet that nobody really likes to talk about, but it’s important. You want a toilet that is easy to clean and easy to keep that way. Look for a toilet with a non-porous coating that will keep stains away from the porcelain underneath. Also avoid a toilet with lots of nooks and crannies. They may look neat, but they’re hard to clean
● Where is it Going – One thing about toilets is that in order to be up to code, they have to have plenty of clearance in front of them. It does no good to measure a space for your new toilet without keeping that in mind. You also need to be aware of the rough-in dimensions for your toilet. That is the distance from the wall to the center of the drain. In most cases, this will be 12-inches, but some smaller powder rooms may have 10-inch rough in measurements.
● Elongated seat for more comfort when sitting down
● AquaPiston canister gives maximum flush power without warping the flush valve
● Uses only 1.6 gallons of water per flush
● Comfort height seating means sitting down and standing up are easier for adults and elderly
● Fully ADA-compliant for mobility challenged people
● Does not include a seat or lid
● Does not come with installation kit
When looking for a toilet with a seat high enough so it doesn’t feel like you’re falling down, there are plenty of options out there. This Kohler Kelston Comfort Height toilet is a great choice for anyone looking for an entry model without a lot of bells and whistles. While you do need to get your own seat and supply the installation kit, the attractive price coupled with the Kohler name and quality make this a reasonable choice.